Volume EM Gordon Research Conference

Camera: Leica M-P 240
Exposure: 1/4000
Aperture: f/3.4
Focal Length: 35mm
ISO: 200

I am finally getting around to posting some photos from the Volume EM Gordon Research Conference. I flew from the SciFoo meeting up in Mountain View down to LAX, then drove up the coast to Ventura for one of the best scientific conferences I’ve been to.  I’ll absolutely plan on taking the whole lab to this next conference, wherever that may be in two years.

The only downside to the conference, is that I managed to, despite avoiding it for >3.5 years, catch COVID. And it knocked me on my backside, despite being vaccinated x5.  I cannot imagine how bad this would have been had I not been vaccinated.

I had tested every single day of the SciFoo and Gordon Research Conference meetings, and felt great.  I masked almost the entire time, except for shared meals and the poster session which I *knew* at the time it was a mistake to not go masked. The room was hot and stifled, and I thought that it was a risk, but hey… It’ll be easier for people to hear me at the poster session.

I am sure I caught it then. At any rate, finished the conference, drove down to LAX, sent out this Tweet, got on the plane to Salt Lake City, got home and was feeling fine, just a little tired, but thought that I’d been going at 150% for >2 weeks solid. Figured I’d take the last COVID test I bought for the trip and BAM!  The course of the infection was all consuming and I felt awful. I could not read. Could not write. Could not even watch television shows even for over a week, and tested positive for 14 days after the original infection leading me to believe that the ORIGINAL CDC guidance was correct. My resting heart rate went up >20bpm, and I’m still not completely recovered cardiovascularly speaking as my return to resting heart rate post exercise takes longer than before, but is slowly getting better.