Running A Lab Remotely

This image shows the tile lap ordering of one of our transmission electron microscopy (TEM) datasets. Each tile represents a TEM image and the tiny numbers on the edges are indications of overlap and warping from each image to the next.  Some images have good overlap, and some images have poor overlap.

Running a lab remotely feels like I’m on the edge of this dataset with tiles dropping off from time to time. The administrative burden of running a lab remotely feels like… log units more effort than if we were able to run the lab with everyone traditionally there. Constant text messages, Slack notifications, emails, phone calls… There is way more discrete communications than were there when someone could simply poke a head in your door or you could walk through the lab and talk with people.

We’ll see how long this lasts.  My guess is that it will be a month, maybe two before we get back to some semblance of normalcy.  But it may be longer.  The important thing is to take care of people and work hard to make sure that our healthcare system can weather this storm.

Good luck to us all…  As I’ve said before, I don’t feel good about the leadership of this country in these difficult times.