Things I Miss…

Camera: Leica Monochrom
Exposure: 1/2000
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 3,200

I miss enjoying a beautifully poured latte in a crowded coffee shop.  I miss the din of people talking about their lives and plans.  I miss the smell of a busy coffee shop, and the sounds of espressos being made.  I miss meeting up with friends over coffee.

All this is going through my head, while I’m thinking back on how times like this impact society. The Roaring 20’s were a decade of economic prosperity, but also a reaction to a period in the aftermath of strife, loss and depression of WWI and the 1918 flu pandemic.  Will we see a similar period after the lost year of 2020?  I hope that we can re-emerge in 2021, but my suspicions are that travel might take 3-4 years to fully recover economically speaking.

In the current COVID-19 flu pandemic, the wealthy seem to be slowly emerging from the economic hit, but vast swaths of our economy are suffering mightily.  I worry about many small companies and family owned businesses.  There will be lots written over the next few years about how service based economies are particularly hard hit by pandemics, and we will need some sort of national plan to help recover and rebuild infrastructure in this country.  My hopes are that the November elections see Biden and Harris handily win, and that we will once again have adults back in charge who take pride in excellence, competence and accomplishment.  People who are actually interested in governing, rather than accumulating power.

81 days until the election…