Easter Dandelion

Camera: Leica SL2
Exposure: 1/250
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 100mm
ISO: 250

I’ve been feeling a bit… constrained photographically speaking in The Time Of COVID.  So, perhaps it’s time to start getting back into macro photography.  It’s been a while since I spent much time in this area of photography, but I still have the lenses and focusing rails..  The trick now is that I wanted to do an experiment to see if the lenses could be adapted to some of the new, mirrorless cameras.  This otherwise unremarkable image above is the first image from my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens, adapted onto the Leica SL2 camera with a Novoflex Canon EF-to Leica L-Mount adapter, which should make for a far better macro lens experience than the older Canon DSLR cameras.  It might work spectacularly well on the Canon RF based cameras, but I don’t have one of those.

It turns out that the adapted lens works beautifully from an optical standpoint.  Autofocus with the Novoflex adapter does not work very well, but for most of the macro stuff I am thinking about, I’d be focusing manually anyhow.  The only other drawback is that you don’t have the real-time preview of the image with stopped down apertures for example that you get with the Fuji cameras, but I am after the pure optics to be honest.  As such I am pleased that the optics work out and that all EXIF data is carried over.

Look for more experiments soon.