Cedar Waxwing

Morning Cedar Waxwing

Camera: Fuji X-T1
Exposure: 1/550
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 560mm (840mm equivalent) Fuji 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR with 1.4x extender.
ISO: 400

Another cedar waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) seen on my morning walk to work while they migrate through Salt Lake City.

Cedar waxwing from behind

This image from behind the cedar waxwing is not as good as the front, but you can just make out the small red wax-like feather tips on the ends of the secondary flight feathers that gives these birds their popular name.

Categories: Birds.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comment Feed

3 Responses

1. You are getting some great images of birds with that combination Bryan. It makes me wish for something as good and with as much reach. I still might not get images as good as you have gotten but at least the longer lens would help.

I have been trying to find a reasonably priced, lightweight, long lens for my Nikon 5500. I haven’t had much luck so far.

Bill McClymondsMarch 14, 2016 @ 10:21 amReply
  2. Thanks for the reply.

You are absolutely right about getting good shots with something around 200mm. The pictures you referenced were a great example. I have been shooting with 200mm for quite some time. I often use an off camera flash set up and shoot through a window to get very close shots in early morning or late evening. My problem is when I can’t get close. I tried photographing some nesting hawks and the 200 just wouldn’t give me the reach I needed. Your set up would have been ideal for that situation.

Bill McClymondsMarch 15, 2016 @ 11:44 amReply

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.