Evening Light

Today was a weirdly busy and frustrating day of unhandled exception errors, constant phone calls and computers backing up terabytes of data from failed RAID arrays.  Data Robotics really needs to get their act together with their Drobo devices, but that is another story.  In order to get anything done I had my door closed for most of the day and then around 1:00pm, I could not take the constant phone calls and knocking on the door and skipped out to work from home.

Fortunately, I was able to meet my friend Trent for some street tacos across the street from the Sugarhouse/Sprague library.  This taco stand makes some of the best carne asada burritos in the valley while the one on 2nd South and State makes a great pollo mole burrito.  We sat on the lawn outside the library, enjoyed the sun, talked and watched people walking past for a short while before getting back to the house to bury my head in work for the next few hours in lovely silence.

Just as H got home, she suggested we take a walk in the fading light as it was an absolutely beautiful evening and the weather was supposed to change tonight.  Sometimes you gotta say yes to things like that and I am glad for it.  The temperature was just right, the valley air was absolutely clear and they sky was broken by herringbone clouds.  I’ll pay for it working late into the evening here, but it was totally worth it.

4 Replies to “Evening Light”

1. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the Drobo…. I have been looking at them on and off for more than a year, but couldn’t convince myself to get one. I’m still looking for a reasonably priced (NAS or FW800) multi bay enclosure…. anyways, glad to hear the day took a turn for the better…

1. Thanks Dino,

The experience with Drobo is a frustrating one as they have a *really good* idea. Their initial 4 bay Drobos have been rock solid for me. Very reliable, fault tolerant and robust. I’ve even had my data saved by them. The DroboS and DroboPro’s have been more difficult because of software problems on Drobo’s side. Recently however, they’ve started tracking down these problems and licensing SCSI initiators from ATTO that appear to have solved some of the problems. We’ll see if that fixes others.

As it stands, I am not sure if I can recommend Drobos. It would depend. I still run them and am very happy with some of them, but not their customer support or their level of transparency on the issues they’ve been facing. I’ve heard good things about Weibetech http://www.wiebetech.com/ and while they are more expensive, the Promise stuff looks really appealing, especially with Thunderbolt: http://www.promise.com/apple/