Psst. Hey buddy, you wanna buy a print?

So, it has been a few days since I posted to the blog, but it has been a busy week. I am working on another review of retinal degeneration and remodeling this time for Clinical and Experimental Optometry as well as getting some work done for the ARVO presentations I have found myself a co-author on. Unfortunately this means I have not really had time to go out and collect many new photographs. We did go to the last University of Utah gymnastics meet and I took some new photographs but, there was not much new in terms of content. Because this is an indoor event and the gymnasts move so quickly, I am often unable to capture movement without blurring given my current lenses. The lens I have been using for the gymnastics meet has been my Canon 70-300 DO USM IS which is a fabulous lens in terms of its range, compactness and overall performance. However, at 300mm, f/4.0-5.6 simply does not allow one to get enough flux through the lens to stop fast motions in indoor environments with available light (flashes are a no no for obvious reasons).

This image of the gymnast Annabeth Eberle taken by Ann Torrence, was captured with a lens that obviously can get the job done. Unfortunately, this lens and its equivalent from the Canon line are fabulously expensive. So expensive in fact, that they rival or exceed the cost of my camera body. What most SLR photographers do come to realize however is that the camera bodies typically end up being only a small percentage of the overall costs of a photographic kit. Lenses are the objects that occupy most of the total financial outlay and why within your platform of preference (Canon vs. Nikon), the lenses have historically been compatible over many models and model years showing the importance of backwards and forwards compatibility along with carefully considered design and engineering that go into every new lens from these companies. After all many of their customers invest a not insignificant amount of money in their glass and would like to know it will not be obsolete within the near future, which brings up the topic of maintaining the photography habit. Ann suggested to me that I take some of the images I create for our research and submit them to SIGGRAPH which would in fact, be perfect for submission given their computational origins. I have already optimized the three images shown here and had them made into prints for display as art. They do end up as being rather stunning in our house and of our friends. If any of you are interested in a print of one of these images, let me know and we can discuss what is involved in creating them and how to obtain one. There are also a few others as well…..