Visit to Carnegie Mellon University, 2017

Camera: Leica Monochrom
Exposure: 1/350
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 35mm
ISO: 3,200

I had the great pleasure of being invited and hosted by Marcel Bruchez (@mpbruchez) to give a talk at Carnegie Mellon’s Biology Department a couple of weeks ago.  In addition to Marcel, I had a wonderful opportunity to sit down with Allison Barth (@AlisonBarth), Aryn Gittis, Fred Lanni, Alex Ropelewski, Art Wetzel, Sandra Kuhlman, Eric Yttri, Leon Zhao, Veronica Hinman (@veronica_hinman) and Jon Minden (@JonMinden) in addition to a wonderful group of grad students with whom I had lunch.

The meetings were wonderful and quite informative.  The technical work going on at CMU’s Biology department is impressive indeed, and Marcel’s fluorescence work is a wonderful cornerstone for much of it.  I also found out that the CMU folks Alex Ropelewski and Art Wetzel built the connectome volumes for Jeff Lichtman, something I had never heard before despite reading his papers and attending multiple talks by him, making our sparsely NIH funded efforts more of a deal for the taxpayer than I previously thought.