Musca Domestica

Fly macro

Camera: Canon 1D MkIV
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 100mm
ISO: 1,600

It is that time of year again, where the macro lenses come out to capture all sorts of small life in and around.  Even something as common as the Musca domestica can make for interesting subjects and I expect that all of the rain this year is going to cause an explosion in the number of invertebrates, so this might prove interesting… and mean I have to wear more mosquito repellant.

This particular image was made with the wonderful Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro lens and a ring flash.  Fuji is supposedly going to come out with a macro lens of their own next year, so I cannot wait to see how that one performs.   I would hope they release a ring flash to go along with it as it would be nice to have a mirrorless solution for macro photography which, it turns out might be incredibly beneficial.  As it stands, this image was technically a little difficult as it is actually 3 separate images that have been focus stacked to get more of the animal in focus.  This means I pushed the shutter button 3 times while moving the plane of focus (technically it was a burst where I simply held the button down), then I reconstructed the 3 separate images as described in the focus stacked link.  The trick here is that every time the shutter actuated in the Canon 1D, there was a rather loud sound that could have resulted in this fly escaping.  A mirrorless solution could be much quieter and with an electronic shutter, be silent.