November Sunspots

Sunspots_

Camera: Sony RX100 III
Exposure: 1/250
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: ~ 1200mm equivalent with 70mm zoom + 700mm spotting scope
ISO: 125
Orion ID Full Aperture Glass Solar Filter

Our star the sun, visualized through a spotting scope and a Sony RX100 III.

Last month, I shot the really big sunspots with a polymer filter, but I am exploring new ways of getting a bit more detail out of the sun with just some basic imaging equipment and a spotting scope.  There are some very expensive ways to get more detail out of the sun’s surface, but with a point and shoot camera, a spotting scope and a $40 filter over the end of the scope, this is not bad.

Same rules for photographing the sun apply. Its potentially dangerous for your retina and your photographic equipment, so don’t ever look directly into the sun and when you do image it, only do so behind appropriate filters.

Categories: Astrophotography.

Tags: , , ,

Comment Feed

6 Responses

1. very neat. I have an absolutely crappy Sears branded scope that is a 3 generation hand-me-down and I have a cheap 60x spotting scope. I bet the spotting scope would be better than the telescope (with a filter of course) for picturing the sun.

Jason RobinsonNovember 16, 2014 @ 8:10 pmReply
  2. Nice results!!! A solar filter is on my to-do list.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] available through the Apple App store, but its not.  Given that one of my desired applications was digiscoping like this shot, a remote would be a desirable […]

2. […] the sun without resorting to H-alpha filters or anything insanely expensive.  Instead, this image of one of the largest sunspots in a while was made with an inexpensive Glass Solar Filter which preserved far more detail than I’d […]