Sunset At Janelia Farm

Janelia Farm

Camera: Fuji X-T1
Exposure: +1 to -1 exposure brackets around 1/8 Color; 15sec. IR
Aperture: f/22 color; f/11 IR
Focal Length: 14mm (21mm full frame equivalent)
ISO: 200 color and IR
Filters: B+W 093 Infrared Filter, >830nm bandpass; B+W 092 Infrared Filter, >695nm bandpass.

This image of Janelia Farm is a multi-spectral image of sorts made by combining a few exposures of standard 14-bit RAW images plus a few additional 14-bit infrared wavelength images at 695nm and 830nm.

Multi-spectral inset

The challenge here was the sky was largely washed out with very few clouds and some great, but harsh light coming in from behind and to the right. This allowed me to pull some detail out in the sky as well as muted and flattened the colors slightly, yet enhanced contrast in a much more pleasing way than a high dynamic range image would have while also preserving fine detail seen above with a 250% crop.  This gives flexibility for display anywhere from websites to large prints and is an approach I’ll be considering for future architectural imagery.

Categories: Daily, Travel.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comment Feed

3 Responses

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] The challenge here was the sky was largely washed out with very few clouds and some great, but harsh light coming in from behind and to the right. This allowed me to pull some detail out in the sky …  […]

2. […] *just* missed the exhibit on the last trip to Janelia Farm and don’t know if I’ll get a chance to see the exhibit in person before it closes, so […]

3. […] last day I was at Janelia, it stopped raining and I was able to get outside during the day for some images.  That is not to say that there were not images made in the rain, but those are for another […]