House Finch

House Finch

Camera: Fuji X-T1
Exposure: 1/500
Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 200mm (300mm full frame equivalent)
ISO: 1,600

A male house finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) seen on a beautiful early spring day in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I borked this photo a little bit in that the ISO setting was cranked up to 1,600 and after walking outside I had failed to adjust it.  So when this finch alighted on the tree I did not have time to adjust the ISO and opted instead to quickly crank down the aperture all the way in order to get a decent exposure before he flew off.

This little mistake does open up the option of inspecting the noise at 1,600 however, which on the Fuji X-T1 is as clean as can be.  The Fuji cameras are rapidly becoming my go to cameras for anything related to bird photography and the Fuji 55-200 zoom lens is a remarkable little lens for getting the shots.  Looking at Fuji’s Lens Roadmap, it appears that there is a super telephoto lens in the works for 2015.  I can’t wait to see what this lens is and give it a try for birding.

Categories: Birds.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comment Feed

4 Responses

1. X-T1?! Cool!

• Yeah, much nicer autofocus performance and weather sealing! Combine it with the new Luma Loop 3 and this is a really interesting little camera.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] male house finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) was seen on a beautiful early spring day in Salt Lake City, Utah.  He was quite comfortable as I walked up to him and snapped his portrait in gorgeous […]

2. […] We went for our traditional after Thanksgiving hike and ran across this pair of house finches  (Haemorhous mexicanus).  This is a little non-traditional as most house finches have red coloring like this one. […]