Milky Way Galaxy

Not much to say here that the picture does not already say… It’s a big place out there.  Kind of a corollary to the post I made earlier last month, but on the grand scale rather than the small scale.

Camera: Canon 1D MkIII
Exposure: 31sec.
Aperture: f/16.0
Focal Length: 16mm
ISO: 2500

Categories: Daily.

Tags: , , , ,

Comment Feed

4 Responses

1. Beautiful! Why at f/16 if I may ask? Any particular reason? I’m just wondering. It’s something I’ve been wanting to try also for a while.
    Thanks for sharing.

Dino LeoneMarch 5, 2011 @ 10:27 pmReply
    • I picked a tight aperture on this particular lens to sharpen the points of light up. The Canon 16-35 f/2.8 lens is not the sharpest lens in the bunch, so it needed a bit of help for these very distinct points of light. Honestly, f/16 was probably overkill for this particular shot, but the previous couple shots made wide open were less than satisfactory.

2. Cool. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

Dino LeoneMarch 8, 2011 @ 1:36 pmReply

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] I made a time-lapse movie of the Earth rotating underneath the Milky Way at this link Bonneville salt flats (Quicktime movie).  If you’d rather see it on Youtube, you can see it here, though the quality is not nearly as nice as the Quicktime.  We knew that sitting for 3 to 4 hours would end up being 5 or 6 seconds of video, but in retrospect, we should have simply left the cameras out all night while we slept, but I did not think about it at the time.  After enjoying a Chimay in the perfect temperature evening, some time around Midnight, we just decided to crawl into our tents and call it an evening and that was that.  Next time I’ll just let the camera run and I’ll do it with a tighter aperture and slightly longer exposures to bring out the Milky Way more as I did in this image. […]