Neuron

I am pretty tickled that this technique worked and am loving this small portion of data.  I cannot say more than this because it is derived from data that we are helping some other folks out with, but this image was assembled with techniques that I wanted to try on another project some time ago.  Unfortunately for that group, those people did not listen and I never ran the experiment for them.  Today however, a more receptive audience came by asking how to solve this particular problem.  I instructed them on how to collect the data for the experiment which took about 2 hours.  After collecting the data, we had this image (part of a much larger image) in less than 2 minutes.  It works and it works exceedingly well by taking a 3D problem and reducing it to a pseudo 2.5D problem (or 2.1D problem as Robert amusingly noted today).

Categories: Art of Science, Science.

Tags: , , ,

Comment Feed

15 Responses

1. You rock.

Robert MarcFebruary 15, 2011 @ 11:34 pmReply
  2. That’s amazing…

Mike JohnsonFebruary 16, 2011 @ 9:27 amReply
  3. Thanks Mike. Check out all the dendritic spines on this neuron. Its neat that they showed up as well as they did.

4. Just think all those million of neurons firing, working together at the speed of light….so people can post cat pics on the internet….

linuxpunk81February 19, 2011 @ 8:23 amReply
  5. Ha! Totally. I love LOL cats.

6. this is incredible!

Scott StringhamFebruary 19, 2011 @ 10:34 amReply
  7. Muchas gracias Scott.

8. beautiful!
    is that a single filled cell? outside of the center of the image, are those axonal boutons? (tell me more!)

9. This is a section of visual cortex that has immunoprobes directed against a specific target. I cannot say more as it is from a colleagues dataset that we are helping to collect data for their grant. The boutons you are seeing are actually spines from that particular neuron.

10. What are the cells here other than the dendritic cells?

Jack JuniJune 4, 2013 @ 7:06 pmReply

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] work on neurons on a Friday night…  Again, collapsing 3D problems down to 2.5D like I did before.  It is similar to a common technique in confocal microscopy, maximal projection, but in reality […]

2. […] common now in some circles is focus stacking.  I’ve written about it before with for both histologic and non-histologic applications.  The results can be remarkably compelling, making optical images […]

3. […] in a set of images from rendered neuroscience data and part of an expanding set of images including Neuron, Neuron Pentaptych, Visual Cortex Neuron, and Abstract Cell Bodies In Brain that […]