Digiscoping

This image of the moon was my first attempt at digiscoping. I’ve taken pictures of the moon before with my SLR, but I’ve not tried holding a small point and shoot digital camera up to an old spotting scope before. I’ve even seen the results of digiscoping before when Robert showed me a movie of some beavers he and Ann were watching build a dam on a river up in the Tetons, but I just never got around to trying it. I think that after this image, I might be hooked though as it is possible to capture distant objects with reasonably good picture quality with a lower cost setup like a digital point and shoot with a spotting scope than it is with a high end camera and the fabulously expensive lens that would be required to capture images at the same magnification that a spotting scope is routinely capable of.

On a side note, it looks as though I was not the only person who was shooting pictures of the moon this weekend as Tim Bray was looking at the same moon. It is somehow comforting to know that while one is looking up at the night sky in wonder and appreciation, other people around the world are participating in the same fleeting temporal moment and seeing perhaps from a different perspective the world around them.